To ensure a good classroom blog, you should incorporate the following:
- Ensure quality content
- The blog should act as an extension of the classroom. Make sure this interaction between the digital learning environment and your classroom is understood by your students.
- Takes into account a students safety- the classroom blog has minimal exposure of students and has parental consent for any work, photos or videos being uploaded to the platform.
- An easy way to access the blog to ensure ongoing interactions between students, parents and the teacher.
- Use the blog to create cross-curricular connections for students: EX) When viewing how many viewers have seen the blog, create a social studies/math unit graphing the viewers and where they are geographically.
- Model the blogging process for your students- make sure you are showing students how to leave a safe digital footprint on the internet.
- Ensure your classroom blog is documenting your students learning throughout the year and your classroom activities so that students and families have a platform to refer to.